Benefits of a Sound Machine
Sound machines have become popular tools used at night (and nap times) to help people fall asleep and sleep better. Sound machines, also known as white noise machines, constantly produce background noises that are designed to scientifically produce sound at exact frequencies that have been found the most beneficial for different types of people.
Most sound machines have a variety of noises to choose from, and different people find different noises more beneficial for their sleep. There is a static option, that provides a very consistent noise; there is a rain option, that has proven relaxing to those who need help falling asleep; there is the sound of ocean waves crashing and then moving back out, which often allows people to relax even if they do not need or want to fall asleep. Finding the best noise option is important when using a sleep machine. It often requires compromise when couples are sleeping in the same bed.
Benefits of sleeping with a sound machine have been well documented, and a sound machine actually has more beneficial qualities than simply helping you sleep. Below are some of the benefits of using a sleep machine:
- Restful sleep – White noise is helpful for those who experience lengthened wakefulness and/or for those who have a difficult time falling asleep.
- Relief from snoring – White noise has been proven effective for helping relieve snoring in many people.
- Babies’ restlessness – White noise has been proven to help colicky babies relax, and useful for helping babies fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Improve concentration – Many people have reported benefits for using a sound machine while they work to block out disrupting noises in the office or at home.
- Relief from tinnitus – Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears, can be relieved while using white noise.
- Treatment of ADD/ADHD – Children and adults with mild ADD/ADHD can benefit from using a sound machine because it helps to eliminate distractions that these patients are more prone to.
For those who suffer from sleep apnea, a sound machine is often an ideal tool to help encourage better sleep. Patients have been found to sleep more soundly and without interruptions of the breathing cycle. At Georgia Dental Sleep Disorders, we want to help you achieve a better night’s sleep. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Posted on Behalf of Georgia Dental Sleep Disorders